Sunday, March 3, 2013

Identity Thief

Oh dear... Ooooh Dear...
I wanted to love you, I really did.  I mean, you had Jason Bateman, one of my favorite comedic actors.  Melissa McCarthy was my favorite part of Bridesmaids, and 2 minutes into her first sequence I loved her here too.  What went so terribly wrong?

The writing.

First of all, at its core this is a road trip movie.  Road trip movies are successful when they involve passing through interesting places, seeing the sights, and have some antics laid on top of that.  Bateman has to transport McCarthy's character from Florida back to Denver.  Do you know what's interesting between Florida and Denver?  Nothing.  There is nothing interesting out there.  If you live somewhere in that range, I'm sorry for you and you should move.
Here be nothing.

The character choices were awful too.  First, comedy legend Jason Bateman was given a role in which he had to not be funny.  At all.  Not even in the straight man way like he does in Arrested Development.  His character was specifically written without a sense of humor.

Melissa McCarthy's character fared much better on the comedy side, unfortunately she was such a terrible person it was hard to like her.  They tried to humanize her by the end, but the movie was so long (another huge flaw) that you just didn't care anymore.

I won't go into all the other problems, I'm sure you get the idea by now.  One brief side note; Don't let little kids watch this.  They will walk away thinking it's funny to punch people in the throat.  That is a terrible idea.
Throat Punching: Only kind of funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment