Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful

The much anticipated Wizard of Oz prequel came out a couple weeks ago and I was very excited to see it.  Mostly because it was filmed right here in lovely Pontiac, Michigan.
Michiganders have a strange definition of "lovely."

I should start by saying that before I saw this I heard some poor reviews of the visuals, I'm guessing by people who saw it in 2D.  I saw it in 3D and the effects looked fantastic.  Green screens were comped out well and everything fit rather seamlessly with the bright, colorful style.

The acting is a bit silly and extravagant.  Imagine if Neil Patrick Harris was allowed to break the fourth wall, but had to be less awesome (nothing against James Franco, NPH is just too awesome).  Mila Kunis and her ass do a great job early in the film, but later on she gets dramatic as well.  Zach Braff, shockingly, plays an adorable character you can't help but love.  Basically Zach Braff plays Zach Braff. Again.
And you know what?  We're all okay with that.

In a nutshell, I loved this film.  The story is well done, if a little predictable.  There's some great characters I didn't expect, like the China Girl, who end up adding a lot to the story.  Meeting each witch and seeing the twists and turns each one causes was fun, and the visuals of their powers were great.  Oz himself was kind of a weak character, but that's the point.  He's a fraud and you have to ride along to see if he'll live up to his reputation.
Did I mention Mila Kunis' ass? In 3D?

No comments:

Post a Comment